photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It keeps getting better...


The foyer features a 1970's mirrored console table, vintage shell lamps, a couple of stools in the most gorgeous shade of blue, and a vintage chandelier.

On Monday, I featured a style profile on the fabulous design work of Angie Hranowsky. Shannon, of Pink Wallpaper was sweet enough to leave a comment suggesting that I take a look at Angie's new home, which is featured in the current issue of
Charleston Home Magazine. She had piqued my interest, so of course, I checked it out. The article, entitled "Mid-century Glamour" could not have been more aptly named. I am head over heels with the way Angie designed and decorated her family's new home. She truly encapsulates what it means to have a chic and trendy home.



The streamlined house was designed by Elliott Constantine and built in 1974.

The story of how Angie, her husband Victor, who works as a personal chef, and their two children came to live in this house is hilarious! When the family moved to Charleston, they purchased a tiny, 1950s bungalow, which they quickly outgrew. The bungalow was located two houses away from Highway 61 and the little house was bursting at the seams as the family expanded. The Hranowskys decided to move to a more family friendly place and fell in love with the Riverland Terrace neighborhood.

“I’d never been on this street before,” says Angie of Lakeshore Drive, an obscure stretch of the maze that is Riverland Terrace. Curled up barefoot on a low-slung sofa, she launches into the love story like a breathless teenager. “I came around the back way and suddenly saw this place and was like, ‘Holy cow!’ I stopped immediately, saw there was a “for sale” sign, and thought, ‘I am going to buy this house right now. Right now, I am going to buy this house. Surely no one else wants it—everyone else in Charleston wants piazzas and cottages and this is just too modern.’ So I called right then, but the realtor said they were closing on it the next day. I almost started to cry.”

Long story short, Angie proceeded to visit the new owners and offer to take the house off their hands as they were moving in! They said they would think about it and Angie decided to stalk the house on a weekly basis (if contractors were brought in to make upgrades and renovations, she knew it would be a bad sign for her) for the better part of a year until the owner called in the fall saying she was ready to sell. The Hranowskys updated the floor plan, installed wood flooring, and features like a glass paneled railing on the back porch. The rest is history and the house is absolutely fabulous!
The living room offers fabulous views of the backyard. Angie had two vintage chairs upholstered in her favorite, La Fiorentina fabric by David Hicks.

The vintage sofa was recovered in pink velvet and stripped of its back cushions in order to show off its clean lines.


The Saarinen "Tulip" table chosen by Angie is the perfect complement to the streamlined, mid-century look of the house. She paired it with John Stuart chairs from the 1960's with deep magenta upholstery, and a zebra print rug.

I love the carrara marble treatment on the fireplace! I also love the rich shades of purple and gold used here. I think color is so important in homes whose architecture is very streamlined. It keeps them from looking cold and clinical. I am in love with the fabric used on this vintage chair (Suzani by Donghia)! Does anyone know where I might find something like it that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

The kitchen is simply gorgeous! Angie removed the upper cabinets, opting instead for open shelving. The beautiful backsplash is made of glass and has a slightly iridescent effect, reminiscent of mother of pearl. The cabinetry was painted black, the counters are stainless steel, and the island was topped with Calcutta Gold marble.

Angie's house is filled with vintage finds that are both in keeping with the architectural style of the house, yet feel completely current and trendy.

The den is separated from the foyer with a fretwork screen. The room features a Milo Baughman chair and sofa, an Oly coffee table, and several vintage finds. Notice that the color palette is more subdued in this room.

The solid doors bejeweled with chrome hardware lead to the master suite. The vinyl chair is from the Paris Market in Savannah.
The master bedroom features floor-to-ceiling windows, dark wood floors, seagrass wallcovering, and a fabulous chrome bed. The Suzani-style bedspread is gorgeous!

Even their patio is super stylish! I love the furniture and pillows they used as well as the open, airy feel of the home, both indoors and out.

20 comments:

chateaudelu said...

Fantastic house!

Yoli said...

Good layering of styles.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

This home is now on my favorites list. So pretty!

Erin Gates said...

LOVE THIS!!!!!

LindsB said...

That back yard is amazing! I would love to sit there after work everyday- how beautiful!!

Lauren said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Thanks for posting these photos! I would SO love a cool mid century ranch!

Anonymous said...

Love it! And I'm totally with you on the chair fabric---would love to know what it is and where i can snag some!

I'll keep my eyes open and let you know if i come across it!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great house. Love those open shelves in the kitchen!

franki durbin said...

Can I just say this.... I LOVE ANGIE. That's a girl after my own heart I may link to this as a great story of tenacity. Never, ever give up your dreams. Ever. You have to relentlessly pursue what you really want.

Angie, if you're reading this, you and I are cut from the same cloth. LOL!

So Haute said...

OMG I LOVE her home! Thanks for sharing! also-that chair fabric that a few inquired about is "suzani" by Donghia! I love it too!

livingwithstyle said...

Great house! So ultra cool and chic!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info on the fabric, So Haute! Is it only available to the trade? Has anyone seen anything cheaper, but similar?

Daniela Valdez said...

The first pic is so cool, I would love to have that wall deco!

Bonnie said...

Excellent post! Great story too, so stalking is not always a bad thing! The photos are so pretty! I love the fabrics they used and that white buffet, and the couch in pink velvet! The home looks stylish and so comfy too! The decor is really beautiful.

Unknown said...

Bonnie, I totally agree.

Franki, you are right about this being inspiring! I probably would have sulked about missing out on the fab house, but Angie's go get 'em attitude is so encouraging. Talk about a girl with moxie! I would love to think that I would do the same if I were to be in that situation in the future.

paula said...

I am just swooning away. I could move right in.

Pink Wallpaper said...

isn't just great!! told you it wouldn't disappoint!

Haven and Home said...

Wow, that is a cool home!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Great story, fabulous home!!

thelovelist said...

I think I read somewhere that she just put this house up for sale!! Maybe Style Court?